Friday, September 28, 2012

Sustainable Prisons Project for The New York Times

I had the pleasure of photographing the inmates at the Cedar Creek Corrections Center working on raising endangered Oregon Spotted Frogs to be released back into the wild. This is the first, of I hope many, successful pitches to a publication. Usually it happens the other way around, starting with the reporter, so this was an exciting change for me. I have shot imprisons before, but this was a very positive change. The inmates in the Sustainable Prison Project were excited to be working in the expansive gardens scattered throughout the center, the large composting operation, and in the more specialized programs such as bee keeping, and in this case, raising frogs. It seemed as if they took real pride in their work and many explained to me the complex ecological relationships they came to understand as they worked with the land.


















No comments: