Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Mr. Buzzard for The Seattle Weekly



Last week I was asked to photograph Mr. Buzzard for The Seattle Weekly cover story. Mr. Buzzard, a former gang member, now does outreach work with young people throughout Seattle. The challenge with this shoot was that I had about an hour at the Seattle Weekly offices to create an interesting portrait. I decided to set up a backdrop in one of the offices with a couple of lights, a beauty dish, and a ten degree grid. I hadn't shot a portrait like this in awhile, so it was good to play with studio lighting again. After several lighting setups and poses, I settled on a one light setup far enough away to the background to give it an interesting look. Here is what I came up with. In addition to shooting digital, I decided to shoot some black and white film through my hasselblad as well.

No comments: